Grape Seed Extract
Grape seed extract has many health benefits in addition to increasing Nitric Oxide levels. It can be effective in treating heart diseases and some experts think that grape seed extract could even have anticancer and cancer chemopreventive potential.
In recent years there has been a great deal of research pointing to key therapeutic properties of grape seed extract, including:
1. Healing wounds – Grape seed extract can heal dermal wounds.
A study, published in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine1, “provided firm evidence to support that topical application of GSPE represents a feasible and productive approach to support dermal wound healing.”
2. Improving bone strength – Including grape seed extract in your diet with calcium has a “beneficial effect on bone formation and bone strength for the treatment of bone debility caused by a low level of calcium,” according to research published in the Journal of Musculoskeletal & Neuronal Interactions.2
3. Preventing skin cancer – Grape seeds contain proanthocyanidins which can prevent the development of cancer.
A study, published in the journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, found that grape seeds have properties that can reduce the severity of skin cancer. The researchers concluded that grape seed extracts “could be useful in the attenuation of the adverse UV-induced health effects in human skin.”
4. Cardiovascular benefits – The antioxidants in grape seed extract can potentially protect the blood vessels from becoming damaged, which may prevent high blood pressure.
According to one study, published in the journal Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis4, “grape seed proanthocyanidin extract (GSPE) provides superior antioxidant efficacy as compared to Vitamins C, E and β-carotene.”
5. Reducing edema (swelling) – Taking grape seed extract can help reduce the swelling that occurs after an injury or surgery. In chronic venous insufficiency, blood pools in the legs, causing pain, swelling, fatigue, and visible veins. A number of high quality studies have shown that OPCs from grape seed can reduce symptoms.
A double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that breast cancer patients who took 600 mg of grape seed extract every day for 6 months had less edema compared to those on placebo.
6. Preventing cognitive decline – Grape seed extract is very high in proanthocyanidins (oligomers of monomeric polyphenols) which may prevent cognitive decline.
One study identified “a critical role for grape seed proanthocyanidin extract (GSPE) as a neuroprotectant in the hippocampus and in preventing cognitive loss with aging.”
Primarily, grape seed extract improves health because of its antioxidants. These antioxidant qualities inhibit the oxidative process. In COR-Restor we have included plenty of grape seed extract to work along with the other powerful antioxidants to enhance the impact of Nitric Oxide.